Thursday, November 29, 2012

When Does Christmas Begin for Me....


Right after Halloween, I went to Walmart to pick up a few items, by myself (a rare occasion) and found myself walking through the Christmas isle.  I was immediately transformed.  A warm fuzzy feeling, excitement and anticipation radiated through me as I looked at all the glitzy ornaments and mesmerizing lights.  I LOVE Christmas! I love the smells, sights, sounds, and feelings involved in Christmas.  Growing up, Christmas was always such a magical time for me.  My parents made it so special.  We would decorate, make cookies, have parties, give presents, get presents and, of course, go to church.  With all that said...ONE HOLIDAY AT A TIME, PLEASE!
My Jack-O-Lanterns haven't even rotted yet!  I still need to pull out my Thanksgiving decorations.  Why is Christmas pushed so early?  For me, the Christmas season begins the week after Thanksgiving.  I can only do one main event at a time. 

It used to take forever from Thanksgiving to Christmas and now with the advertising and decorating starting so soon, it may be physically longer--the Christmas season-- but it seems like Christmas is here before you know it.  I know, that sounds crazy, but stick with me.  I will give you a quick glimpse into my brain's train of thought...My philosophy is that we are so used to seeing Christmas stuff up and think, “oh, we have FORVEVER until Christmas,” that when it actually gets here we are so desensitized to the holiday “stuff” that it really does surprise us and we feel like it sneaks up on us.  That may not be right, but that is what I am sticking with.
One reason I loved Christmas so much as a child is it was stress free.  Now with all the stresses involved, we forget the most important part of Christmas: Why we celebrate.  We are desensitized to the point that we miss our focus.  We are all so worried about what to get for people, who is coming, what parties we have, what our house looks like, what cookies we are going to make...all to impress others.  When our real focus should be WHY we celebrate Christmas.



I put up all of the decorations this weekend (except the tree – my live tree will be in on Monday!) But the first thing I put out, front and center, was our Nativity scene.  This Nativity scene was Tony (my husband) Grandmother's and there are all sorts of animals and shepherd from all sorts of sets.  It has seen lots of Christmases and it is just beautiful to have in our house.  I had the girls help me and really wanted to emphasize the true meaning of Christmas.  If you ask my kids why we celebrate Christmas, they will tell you it’s Jesus' birthday.  I hope that by teaching my children the true meaning of Christmas, it will help ME refocus on what's truly important.  I hope that by refocusing, I can again feel the excitement and anticipation of this magical season. Just let me get through one holiday at a time...if I start seeing Fourth of July stuff next week, I may implode!

Bio -
Kathy is blessed to be a stay-at-home mom of three girls and one baby (unknown gender) due in May. She has been married to her extremely understanding and handsome husband for seven years.

No comments:

Post a Comment