Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Lenten Observance: The Sacrament of Reconciliation


Two years ago when my son was in 2nd grade, he and his friends were making preparations for First Communion and First Reconciliation.  In our 2nd grade Small Church Community Family Faith Formation group, we did an exercise that made a great impression on the kids and I must admit, even brought a better understanding of the Sacrament of Reconciliation for me.

 
 
First, I dipped my hand into a plate full of syrup.  Ewww!  It is sticky and gooey and messy; maybe this is the time I picked a fight with someone or lost my temper too quickly. 

 



Next, I dipped my syrup covered hand into a plate full of crushed crackers.  Since my hand was so sticky from the syrup, they really stuck!  Maybe this is the lazy feeling I gave in to, refusing to do what needed to be done, procrastinating or passing my work off onto others. 

 

 
Finally, I dipped my syrup, cracker covered hand into some dirt.  Really got it good and yucky!  Am I holding a grudge against someone, refusing to forgive? Have I neglected someone in need? Spoken harsh words and not apologized?

Wow, that’s a mess.  That can be what our souls look like when we sin.  And often one sin leads to another and can make it easier to sin again and again. Because, once you’re all messy, it doesn’t really matter as much to get even messier.

 

 
So, now I took my hand and put it into a pitcher of water.  Time to clean it off!  But, wait—when I do this by myself, I really can’t get my hand very clean.  I need help. 

 

 

So my friend brought some soap and helped me wash my hand.  Just like the Priest brings Penance and helps us cleanse our souls.  We cannot do everything on our own; we are dependent on God and He has given us the gift of the Sacrament of Reconciliation, facilitated by the Priest, to bring us spiritual renewal!  Accept His gift this Lent! 

 

The Sacrament of Reconciliation is offered every Saturday at 3:45pm and every Wednesday at 6:00pm.  Our Community Lenten Reconciliation Service will be held on Wednesday, March 20th at 7:00pm. 

 Abbie is a “cradle Catholic” who is learning just as much as her kids (maybe more?!?) in the process of teaching them about our beautiful faith!

 
The basis for the idea came from this website, http://www.kidssundayschool.com/Gradeschool/Objects/1object24.php.
It was a great idea but we were able to tweak it a little bit to reflect the Sacrament even better and reveal the importance of the Priest’s role in Reconciliation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment