Thursday, December 20, 2012

Breath of Heaven


My name is Lauren. I am married to Joshua and have two “bonus daughters,” Madison and Emma. I have been a member of Good Shepherd Catholic Community for 4 years and am involved in the Flock, a Small Church Community, CRHP Team 3, and the music ministry. (You may have seen me recently as a cantor for the 11 and 4 o’clock services.)

Music has always been a huge part of my life. I grew up playing piano, singing songs with my sisters, and listening to a very eclectic collection of music with my parents. To me, Christmas and music go hand-in-hand. As a child, I always looked forward to the day after Thanksgiving when we would pull out all the Christmas CDs and fill our house with joyous music. My two older sisters and I would create musical shows in which we would dance around and sing carols while my mom played the piano and my dad played guitar. It was such a treat to perform as a family for our grandparents and relatives, and I will cherish those memories forever. Songs like “The Little Drummer Boy,” “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer,” or anything from John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together were some of our family favorites. (Seriously, if you haven’t heard their version of “The Twelve Days of Christmas” you are missing out!)

As I grew up and my faith walk matured, I began to really focus on the meanings and lyrics of some Christmas songs. Suddenly the words to “Oh Holy Night” could bring tears to my eyes thinking of God’s revealing promise in the birth of our Savior.

“Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
‘Til he appeared and the soul felt its worth.”

These words humble me to the core. I think about a world in turmoil patiently (or not so patiently) waiting for the birth of a child who will come to save the world and wash away our sins.

And then I think about Mary; a fourteen-year-old girl who said yes to God. This humble, immaculate, graceful girl agreed to fulfill a promise.

Isaiah 7:14
“Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.”

As much as I try to imagine what it must have been like to be in Mary’s place when the angel of the Lord appeared to her, I simply cannot. I cannot imagine how scary it must have been to face Joseph, her parents, or her family. I cannot imagine how scary it must have been to journey to Bethlehem, a place without family or a familiar face, and give birth to the most Holy Child. Yet Mary completely trusted God by saying yes to His will for her.

Luke 1:38
“And Mary said, ‘Behold, the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word.’”

I can’t help but wonder: was Mary scared of what was being asked of her? How did she feel about taking on such an amazing and critical role? Did she know the importance of her role in Jesus’s life?

Whatever the answers to the questions, I feel Mary is such a strong, graceful, faithful woman, and one I hope to model my life after. My love for our Most Blessed Mother and my longing to live my life as she lived hers is exactly why “Breath of Heaven” is my favorite Christmas carol of all time. I cannot hear the song without it stirring my soul and bringing tears of joy to my eyes. I feel that the song truly expresses what Mary must have been feeling throughout her life; from the time the angel appeared before her until her assumption into Heaven.

“But I offer all I am
For the mercy of Your plan”

My hope for you is that this song will touch your life this Christmas season as it has touched mine. May God bless and keep you always…. and may you always find the strength to say yes to God’s will for you, just as our Most Holy Mother was able to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment