Thursday, January 10, 2013

Post-holiday “blues”? Bah, humbug!


I’m a procrastinator.  You know the type…you may even be one of these…  Our excuses for this type of behavior range from, “I work better under pressure,” to, “I just can’t seem to stay ahead of everything.” However, in this case, I had mulled my topic over and over in my mind during the holidays, made some notes over the last few days, and tried my best to distill it all down to something worth sharing.  My deadline is end of day today, and I hope it doesn’t show!

Hopefully, something in my posting will strike a chord with some of you.  And I invite you to please post a comment if you react to anything in particular.  In fact, in preparation for this blogging exercise, I went back and read all of the postings since our GSCC blog began.  I had already read some here and there, but I wanted to be sure to read over what all of the contributors had shared.  So many of the postings were very personal, and I was struck by the enormous outpouring of faith and commitment to sharing that precious gift of faith with others, in a word:  Evangelization.  I was disappointed in myself for not ever taking the time to comment on postings that truly touched me.  It seems only three comments have been posted to a single entry, so far.  Sure, we have been moved, and have silently reacted to many, but we just haven’t taken that next step of posting a comment.   Let’s change that!  Let’s inspire our contributors to further sharing, by responding to their thoughts and generating a discussion. 

I would like to begin some commentary by telling Lauren, who most recently shared true inspiration in her “Breadth of Life” posting, that I was so spiritually uplifted by her contribution.  Her wish for us, that we always find the strength to say “yes” to God’s will for us touched me deeply, since this is something I think about almost on a daily basis.  In fact, this very topic of accepting God’s will for us will be receiving renewed attention in my life in this New Year.

The Christmas holidays are now over, kids have gone back to school, families have retreated to their daily lives, and the dreaded process of taking down the tree and storing of ornaments is behind us.  Maybe what many of us feel, in the aftermath of such a glorious season, is a mixture of both let-down (gosh, it’s all over!) and relief (how long could the frenzy go on?)  But what remains, really, is the life-asserting knowledge, that while all the secular signs of holiday cheer have been put aside, the gift of our salvation endures forever and demands our ongoing awareness all throughout the year.  So while we hear terms bantered about like January “blues”, “blahs”, or “doldrums”, there is actually much to focus upon and many reasons to continue celebrating the true meaning of our Christmas season.  Post-holiday “blues”? Bah, humbug!

New Year’s resolutions, per se, constitute a hackneyed exercise:  every year it is somewhat incumbent upon us to work up a list of those areas of our lives that “need work”.  Some of these are the usual:  lose ten pounds, get more exercise, become more tech-savvy (depending on your age group!)  My experience has been that by about July, I convince myself that it can all still be accomplished, and by January, I am disappointed by my lack of success in most of these endeavors!  Then there are “heavy-duty” resolutions requiring feats of character, personal improvement, spiritual growth, and outreach toward others.  These are the ones that sometimes keep me awake at night throughout the year,  as I review my daily actions at the end of the day, and realize that not only have I not stepped up, but may have actually backslid.  And so, another year has come and gone, and like most of us, I have experienced a measure of success in some areas, and failure in others.  But a New Year gives me renewed hope and determination to continue on my journey, albeit imperfect, to grow in my faith, to have the strength, as Lauren wished for us, “to say ‘yes’ to God’s will,”  and to discern how I can best utilize the gifts I have been granted.  I am always reminded of God’s reassuring and unconditional love for us in the words: 

 “Do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.  IS 41: 10
May you all be blessed by a year of health, of strength, of faith, and of joy in the knowledge that Christ has enabled our salvation.  ~Cyndy G

No comments:

Post a Comment