Thursday, January 24, 2013

Christ Renews His Parish a Male Perspective

 It was after weeks of gently pushing, kindly suggesting, and politely begging that my wife convinced me to attend a “church retreat”.   I decided to trust her. (Sometimes those closest to us know what we need better than we do.)  I was on a business trip in Seattle, when I stepped out on the hotel balcony to enjoy the night air and stare at the stars over the bay when I decided I needed to go to CRHP.   I stepped outside that night to think about my life, my job, my family, and my faith.  All of those generic esoteric questions that I was pondering would soon have an answer.

A lot of the men who have experienced the greatness of a CRHP retreat have similar stories. 
Even though I agreed to go, when I arrived, I was still reluctant to participate.  Who wants to go grunt and beat drums, and share feelings?  Besides, I go to Mass every Sunday with my wife.  I have plenty of great friends. That’s enough, right?  I mean, it was during football season. . . .

So much in this life will always remain a mystery, our Church unabashedly calls them Mysteries, and as such, parts of CRHP should remain a mystery, until you experience it. I will say all of this is available to you, but you have to say “Yes”.
Let’s fast forward past CRHP at what I have gained because I said “Yes”.

 have friends.  I have real friends, in almost every seating section at nearly every Mass.  Most of them are older than I am.  Most of them grew up in different eras, and different parts of the country.  Some of them have had similar struggles as me.  Some of them are converts like me. Some have had to go through annulments like me. Some have had much tougher struggles than I have. I respect them all.  They aren’t the same generic parishioners to me when I was just going to Mass; they are Charlie, Keith, Chris, Bob, and Ryan. I know their names.   They are great men that I respect and value in my life.
I gained perspective.

I gained a renewed confidence in my faith.
I have a renewed understanding of my relationships.

I have a renewed sense of Whose I am.

I have an even better marriage.  (If your wife has already attended, she will understand)
I didn’t have to grunt, or beat drums, or really even share my feelings, but what I did find was a renewed energy and desire to deepen my faith.  I didn’t know that night in Seattle what I was searching for, but it was simple. . . all I had to do was say yes to CRHP.

 I encourage everyone to go to CRHP.  If you doubt me, then go ahead and sign up,  I dare you.
-Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment